ICAEW Membership based on Experience (Pathways to Membership Scheme)
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) scheme of Pathways to Membership allows fully qualified members (minimum five years of full membership) from certain professional bodies – listed below to apply for ICAEW membership based on their experience. Eligible applicants complete Examination of Experience questions that assess their achievements, experience, professional approach, skills and expertise.
After successful passing Examination of Experience, applicant will be invited to apply for membership through payment of membership & admission fees and after receiving of invitation to membership from ICAEW, applicant become member straight away and can use ACA designation. Overall process from submission of Examination of Experience document and availing ICAEW Membership takes approximately four months.
Benefits of ICAEW Membership
Being a member of the ICAEW provides access to what is commonly known in this profession as the most comprehensible range of careers and professional development resources, some of which include free accounting and auditing standards, technical updates, online and face-to-face learning opportunities and further education. It also demonstrates your commitment to maintaining the highest professional and ethical standards towards employers and clients.
An ICAEW membership is a passport for accessing the different markets all around the globe. The portability of this professional qualification is the main reason why professionals undertake ICAEW studies. If your aim is to have a globe-trotting career and adorning your professional CV with international experience, then obtaining an ICAEW membership is the way to go.
ICAEW membership does not only open exciting career opportunities and personal development, it also enables access to first – class range of services specifically designed to support you in your professional career. Some of these are:
- Awarded based on your experience through passing Examination of Experience;
- An ACA designation – the choice amidst employers;
- An opportunity to have a global influence and build a professional network;
- Continuous support in your professional development; and
- Keeping you informed – online, in print and on the move.
- This is only a snippet of the many benefits of ICAEW membership but it gives you access to a worldwide community of professionals, excellent technical expertise, ongoing career support and development opportunities plus a huge variety of products, services and events.
Applicants can apply for ICAEW membership through Pathways if they meet the full eligibility criteria as mentioned below.
1) Applicant must be fully qualified current member holding full membership from one of the bodies listed below;
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) – UK
- The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) – UK
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Pakistan (ICAP) – Pakistan
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) – India
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Bangladesh (ICAB) – Bangladesh
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka (CA Sri Lanka) – Sri Lanka
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nepal (ICAN – Nepal) – Nepal
- The Chinese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (CICPA) – China
- The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA) – Hong Kong
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants (Ghana) (ICAG) – Ghana
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN – Nigeria) – Nigeria
- The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) – Kenya
- The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Greece (SOEL) – Greece
- The Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA) – Singapore
- The Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA) – Malaysia
2) Applicant must have at least five years of full membership of any professional body mentioned above;
3) Applicant must have gained membership of that professional body through the normal education and training route
4) As a fully qualified current member, applicant is compliant with the continuing professional development (CPD) requirements of the professional body.
5) Applicant is a member in good standing with a good disciplinary record and no outstanding complaints against applicant
6) Applicant application is supported by an eligible sponsor. This must be an individual who holds current membership of a professional body that is a full IFAC member body and who knows you, and who is in good standing, is compliant with the CPD requirements of that body and who has a good disciplinary record with no complaints outstanding against them.
Note: Requirements of 2,3,4 and 5 that mentioned above must be confirmed on applicant letter of good standing.
Procedure for obtaining ICAEW Membership through Examination of Experience
To demonstrate that applicant is qualified by experience and that he/she meets the appropriate criteria for membership of ICAEW, applicant is required to complete the Pathways Examination of Experience. This Examination is an assessment that requires applicant to demonstrate professional skills, achievements, experience, approach and expertise.
Examination of Experience consists of a series of questions, which applicant complete in his/her own time, and submit in the required template format by the specified submission deadline. The questions generally assess following aspects;
- Ethical awareness and professional judgement;
- Planning and analytical skills;
- Quality of thought;
- Past experience and achievement; and
- Awareness of current and technical issues.
All eligible applicants are entitled to a maximum of up to four attempts to pass the Examination of Experience.
Better to consult with one of our experienced mentor to explain you entire process in detail. Register Now for free consultation session.
Price and Dates
Submission deadlines and results dates
|Submission start date
||Submission closing date
(by 4pm GMT)
|Exam results date
||Membership available from
|17 December 2019
||30 January 2020
||30 April 2020
||Once ICAEW membership
(and any other fees) paid
|18 June 2020
||30 July 2020
||22 October 2020
||Once ICAEW membership
(and any other fees) paid
Registration Fee of ICAEW:
Free – Only eligible candidates who intend to submit an application at some point in the near future should register as a candidate.
Examination of Experience fee of ICAEW:
£260 per attempt (non-refundable) – This is an exam admission fee and is payable with each Pathways exam submission you make. Most of the student pass this exam in first attempt.
Cost payable by successful candidates only:
These fees are payable by applicants who successfully pass the Pathways Examination of Experience. Successful applicants will be invited to join ICAEW. Individuals must pay the ICAEW admission and annual membership fees in full before they can use the ACA designation or call themselves an ICAEW member.
ICAEW membership fees run from 01 January to 31 December. ICAEW admission fee is a standard rate irrespective of what time of year you join.
Candidates who are successful at passing the Examination of Experience in 2019, can opt to delay their membership to start on 01 January of the following year. However, if you delay your ICAEW membership for 12 months or more, there are penalties and additional costs to pay (see delayed membership section below). 2019 membership costs are shown below.
||ICAEW admission fee
||ICAEW annual membership fee
|Practicing certificate fee
||ICAEW delayed membership fee
||Resident in UK/EEA: £352
|ICAEW General Affiliate** UK/ Europe
|Reduced subscription fee – low rate
|Reduced subscription fee – half rate
*UK/Europe – countries forming the EU and EEA are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom.
ICAEW General Affiliate** UK/Europe – should you already hold affiliate status, you will only be required to pay the relevant subscription. If you have paid your 2019 general affiliate fee, this fee can be offset against the subscription fee when you apply. ICAEW General Affiliates should read the ICAEW practising certificate regulations at icaew.com/regulations for more information and where required include appropriate fee with your Pathways application.
“VM” Mentoring Services specific to availing ICAEW Membership
We “VM” offer our services to members of all professional bodies (listed above) in getting their ICAEW membership through getting professional mentoring from one of our experienced mentor.
After registration with us, one of our experience mentor will coordinate with you and guide you through the entire process and guide you in writing answers of Examination of Experience document as per desired requirements of ICAEW.. Our mentor will review each answers by keeping in consideration of requirements of ICAEW in context of achievements, experience, professional approach, skills and expertise and provide feedback to ensure that the answers are in compliance with the prescribed requirements. Some major benefits of using our services are:
- Complete guidance throughout preparation of Examination of Experience document in order to obtain ICAEW membership in first attempt;
- Guide students in answering the questions based on overall experience gained through mentoring many other students;
- Multiple feedback on Examination of Experience document before submission to ICAEW; and
- Providing professional advice on avoiding any trouble in entire process.
Fee of “VM” Mentoring Services
Basic Mentoring Package: USD 300 (One skype meeting + 2 reviews of Examination of Experience document)
Standard Mentoring Package: USD 450 (Two skype meetings + 4-5 reviews of Examination of Experience document)
Extensive Mentoring Package: USD 600 (3+ skype meetings + Unlimited reviews of Examination of Experience document)
- 20% discount applicable to students who already availed our services in past.
- Payment in installments is possible.
- We don’t demand advance payment from any student as the student has the option to settle the first instalment immediately after first meeting with designated mentor and the remaining dues in middle stage of preparation of the Examination of Experience document.
Important features of this package are as follows:
- Three meetings over skype (in addition to free consultation meeting) with the student. First meeting at the beginning to explain overall context and general requirement and detailed guidance on various steps. Second meeting in the middle of the preparation of Examination of Experience document while the third meeting at the end before submission to ICAEW;
- 5 to 6 reviews of every section of the Examination of Experience document throughout the mentoring period;
- Regular feedback via email to the student on their work throughout the whole mentoring period.
Click here for Free Consultation Session.
Click here for Registration.