After successfully passing the Examination of Experience, the applicant will be invited to apply for membership through payment of membership & admission fees and after receiving of invitation to membership from ICAEW, the applicant becomes a member straight away and can use ACA designation. The overall process from submission of the Examination of Experience document and availing of ICAEW Membership takes approximately four months.
Benefits of ICAEW Membership
Being a member of the ICAEW provides access to what is commonly known in this profession as the most comprehensible range of career and professional development resources, some of which include free accounting and auditing standards, technical updates, online and face-to-face learning opportunities and further education. It also demonstrates your commitment to maintaining the highest professional and ethical standards towards employers and clients.
ICAEW membership is a passport for accessing different markets all around the globe. The portability of this professional qualification is the main reason professionals undertake ICAEW studies. If your aim is to have a globe-trotting career and adorning your professional CV with international experience, then obtaining an ICAEW membership is the way to go.
ICAEW membership does not only open exciting career opportunities and personal development, but it also enables access to a first-class range of services specifically designed to support you in your professional career. Some of these are:
- Awarded based on your experience through passing Examination of Experience.
- An ACA designation – the choice amongst employers.
- An opportunity to have a global influence and build a professional network.
- Continuous support in your professional development and
- Keeping you informed – online, in print, and on the move.
This is only a snippet of the many benefits of ICAEW membership, but it gives you access to a worldwide community of professionals, excellent technical expertise, ongoing career support and development opportunities plus an immense variety of products, services, and events.
Applicants can apply for ICAEW membership through Pathways if they meet the full eligibility criteria as mentioned below.
1) Applicant must be a fully qualified current member holding full membership from one of the bodies listed below.
* Individuals who joined HKICPA as members from the Association of International Accountants (AIA) before 01 June 2008 are not eligible to apply for Pathways.
2) Applicant must have at least five years of full membership of any professional body mentioned above.
3) Applicant must have gained membership of that professional body through the normal education and training route.
4) As a fully qualified current member, the applicant is compliant with the continuing professional development (CPD) requirements of the professional body.
5) Applicant is a member in good standing with a good disciplinary record and no outstanding complaints against applicant.
6) An eligible sponsor supports the applicant’s application. This must be an individual who holds current membership of a professional body that is a full IFAC member body, who knows you and is in good standing, is compliant with the CPD requirements of that body, and who has a good disciplinary record with no complaints outstanding against him/her.
Note: Requirements of 2,3,4 and 5 that mentioned above must be confirmed on applicant letter of good standing.
Procedure for obtaining ICAEW Membership through Examination of Experience
To demonstrate that applicant is qualified by experience, and he/she meets the appropriate criteria for membership of ICAEW, applicant is required to complete the Pathways Examination of Experience. This Examination is an assessment that requires applicant to demonstrate professional skills, achievements, experience, approach, and expertise.
Examination of Experience consists of a series of questions (total nine questions from total five sections), which applicant complete in his/her own time, and submit in the required template format by the specified submission deadline. The questions assess the following aspects.
- Ethical awareness and professional judgement.
- Planning and analytical skills.
- Quality of thought.
- Past experience and achievement; and
- Awareness of current and technical issues.
All eligible applicants are entitled to a maximum of up to four attempts to pass the Examination of Experience.
It would be better to consult with one of our experienced mentors (click here for his LinkedIn Profile), who has mentored lot of students in last four years and he will explain the entire process in detail. Register Now for free consultation session.
Price and Dates
Submission deadlines and results dates
|Submission starts date
||Submission closing date (By 4pm GMT)
||Exam results date
||Membership available from
|09 Jan 2023
||18 Jan 2023
||28 April 2023
||Once ICAEW membership (and any other fees) paid
|08 May 2023
||17 May 2023
||01 Sep 2023
||Once ICAEW membership (and any other fees) paid
Registration Fee of ICAEW:
Free – Only eligible candidates who intend to apply at some point soon should register as a candidate.
Examination of Experience fee of ICAEW:
£300 per attempt (non-refundable) – This is an exam admission fee and is payable with each Pathways exam submission you make. Most of the students pass this exam on their first attempt.
Cost payable by successful candidates only:
These fees are payable by applicants who successfully pass the Pathways Examination of Experience. Successful applicants will be invited to join ICAEW. Individuals must pay the ICAEW admission and annual membership fees in full before they can use the ACA designation or call themselves an ICAEW member.
ICAEW membership fees run from 01 January to 31 December. ICAEW admission fee is a standard rate irrespective of what time of year you join.
Candidates who are successful at passing the Examination of Experience in 2022 can opt to delay their membership to start on 01 January of the following year. However, if you delay your ICAEW membership for 12 months or more, there are penalties and additional costs to pay (see delayed membership section below). 2022 membership costs are shown below.
||ICAEW admission fee
||ICAEW annual membership fee (full year)
||Practicing certificate fee
||ICAEW delayed membership fee
||Resident in UK/EEA: £395
|ICAEW General Affiliate** UK/ Europe
|Reduced subscription fee – low rate
|Reduced subscription fee – half rate
*UK/Europe – countries forming the EU and EEA are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom.
ICAEW General Affiliate** UK/Europe – should you already hold affiliate status; you will only be required to pay the relevant subscription. If you have paid your 2019 general affiliate fee, this fee can be offset against the subscription fee when you apply. ICAEW General Affiliates should read the ICAEW practicing certificate regulations at icaew.com/regulations for more information and where required include appropriate fee with your Pathways application.
Click here for details of all applicable ICAEW Fees.
“VM” Mentoring Services specific to availing ICAEW Membership
We, “VM”, offer our services to members of all professional bodies (listed above) in availing their ICAEW membership through getting professional mentoring from one of our experienced mentors who has mentored lot of students in past four years. Click here to check the profile of the mentor.
After registration with us, our mentor will coordinate with you and guide you through the entire process as per desired requirements of ICAEW. Our mentor will review each answer of Examination of Experience Document by keeping in consideration the requirements of ICAEW in context of achievements, experience, professional approach, skills, and expertise and provide constructive feedback to ensure that all answers are following the prescribed requirements. Some major benefits of using our services are:
- Complete guidance throughout preparation of Examination of Experience document to avail ICAEW membership in first attempt with good marks.
- Guide students in answering questions based on various industries/sectors experience and overall experience gained through mentoring many other ICAEW students from all over the world.
- Multiple feedback on Examination of Experience document before submission to ICAEW; and
- Provide professional advice on avoiding any trouble in the entire process.
Our (VM) Fee
Basic Mentoring Package: USD
300 225 (1 online meeting + 2 reviews of Examination of Experience document)
Standard Mentoring Package: USD
450 350 (3 online meetings + 6 reviews of Examination of Experience document)
Extensive Mentoring Package: USD
600 450 (4+ online meetings + Unlimited reviews of Examination of Experience document)
Premium Mentoring Package (for mentees residing in Pakistan): PKR
70,000 50,000 (3 online meetings + 6 reviews of Examination of Experience document)
Review of Examination of Experience document: USD
120 80 (Only one review of final Examination of Experience document)
*Reduced fee is offered for limited time.
- Transfer charges are included in the fee amount as our Global Payment Agent charges this amount to secure your transaction and details.
- Payment Terms: 1st Instalment i.e. Fifty percent (50%) of the Package fee after a free consultation meeting with a mentor while the remaining sum before the second meeting or after 1 month of registration whichever comes first.
- Approx. 15% discount on mentoring fee if students complete the entire work with all respect before 01 December 2022 (for Jan 2023 session).