An analysis and evaluation of the financial and operational consequences of a merger between two organizations or of the acquisition of one organisation by another.
““The improved knowledge of the financial and operational issues of the selected organization and their proper critical assessment before and after a merger/acquisition under the guidance of a highly qualified mentor are the keys to a successful passing of the RAP”
Topic 19 is related to the general assessment of the consequences, with regard to the financial and operational issues of a company, resulting from a merger of two companies or the acquisition of one company by another.
A merger is a general term that is used in reference to the consolidation of companies. The merger is the combination of two companies that create a new company; an acquisition is the purchase of one company by another where there is no creation of a new company. When a merger occurs, the financial and operational aspects of the pairing can swamp the management, leaving the new company less profitable than either of the two companies before the merger. During the research on topic 19, the Knowledge of Management buyout model and SAF model can be of great help to you.
The student needs to have improved knowledge on the main aspects of a merger or acquisition with specific details on the selected company and also needs to estimate the impact this decision has on the newly formed entity in a financial and operational aspect. The important detailed in-depth evaluation of the financial and operational consequences of the company in a positive and negative term due to the merger or acquisition is the most important aspect that the student needs to focus on while preparing the RAP under this topic.
- An adequate explanation of the general concept of a merger/acquisition in a general Literary term and in terms specific to the selected company;
- Detailed analysis of the financial and operational consequences that result from a merger/acquisition in the selected company;
- Evaluation of the improvement of the business of the company after the merger/acquisition;
- Giving a quantitative and qualitative analysis to properly support the noted aspects; and
- Provide adequate explanations and analysis of the different aspects of the merger/acquisition and the impact they have on the general business performance in both quantitative and qualitative terms.
Key Factors for Success
- An adequate application of the selected goals and objectives that were set at the beginning of the RAP in the appropriate sections of the RAP;
- The adequate answers to the research questions that were set at the beginning of the RAP in the appropriate sections of the RAP will show that the student has understood the requirements of the topic;
- Utilization of an appropriate research method in getting good results on the goals and objectives that were set at the beginning of the RAP will enable the preparation of a quality project; and
- Keeping a logical flow of the discussion by keeping the requirements of the topic shows that the student has the necessary understanding of Topic 19; and
- Provide logical conclusions on the work in the Research Report by having in mind all the requirements of the topic.
Major benefits for choosing this topic
- Application of the learned theoretical knowledge in a practical situation; and
- The different techniques and skills acquired by this topic will be of great help in the student’s later professional career.
Main limitations faced by the student under this topic
- The student may be rejected by the management of the selected company and may not be granted the required documentation due to confidentiality issues, business secrets or the lack of authorized personnel;
- The student may not acquire relevant information from secondary sources due to an inadequate research approach or may not have good ideas for improving the project; and
- The student may be perplexed by the possible contradiction between the information provided by the primary sources in a verbal or documented form and the results gathered during their actual research work through the secondary sources.
Suitable organisation under this topic
A company suitable for preparing the RAP under Topic 19 is such where the student has adequate access to its management. The management needs to be able and willing to provide the information required by the student. The proper selection of an acceptable company is essential for the preparation of a good RAP. The student also needs to have a good understanding of the sector related to the selected company. Based on the knowledge on the company and associated sector the student can connect the different features of the general workings of the selected company and will also be able to more easily complete the requirements of the topic and pass the RAP with good grades.
When choosing a company for the RAP, the student has to evaluate these features:
- The personal interest of the student to the general business of the company, as an interest in the company will help them be mote engaged and inspired to prepare a good project;
- The access to primary sources of information is not 100% essential for Topic 19 and it depends on the approach taken by the student;
- The access to reliable secondary sources of information will help the student confirm some important facts about the company;
- Familiarity with the general operations of the company is essential for preparation of Topic 19;
- Familiarity with the sector associated to the company enables the student to better understand the workings of the company; and
- The general idea of the requirements of the chosen topic and their proper application in the selected company at the beginning of the RAP help the student in conducting good research.
Suggested approach for this topic
The student needs to make a proper plan to finish all the necessary requirements of Topic 19. The student needs to have a clear understanding of the important requirements of the topic and evaluate all the important aspects by proposing a detailed strategy. In order to complete all the prescribed requirements of the topic, the student will need to estimate all the necessary processes that need to be followed at the start of the preparation of the RAP.
The student needs to prepare a logical table of contents of the RAP under Topic 19. This table of contents will enable the student to stay on the right track from the beginning and will enable the student to make a proper timetable and estimate the time needed to complete each task.
After setup of the table of contents of the RAP under Topic 19, the student will need to collect the necessary information in a logical manner. The student has to logically analyze the collected information by continuous consultations with their Project Mentor. The feedback and adequate guidance from the Project Mentor in the main aspects of the RAP are of great importance for the proper and timely completion of the RAP.
As there is no pre-described approach for preparing the RAP for Topic 19. A good start is the general approach described here. This approach needs to be widened and followed by the plans that were made at the beginning of the preparation of the RAP and are in agreement with the information on the selected company. No matter the approach the student will choose to follow, the guidance from the Project Mentor along every step of the process has a major influence in preparing a good RAP and getting good grades.
Availability of Information
The student will have to create a RAP for Topic 19 using the information provided by the management of the company or primary source of information in relation to the information gathered from reliable secondary sources of information like internet, newspapers, books, archive sources, etc. For preparing the RAP under Topic 19, the availability of information from primary sources is not essential as it depends on the general approach taken by the student. If the student chooses to use information from primary sources, then he/she needs to be assured that they have access to this information provided by the management of the selected company and there are no confidentiality clauses that constrict the availability of such information.
The student needs to cautiously approach Topic 19, all its prescribed requirements and the availability of information before making a decision to base their RAP on Topic 19. If there are some uncertainties about any of these factors, the student should not choose this topic for their RAP, as these factors have a very big influence on the evaluation of the RAP and their final grades.
- Our Services
- Rap Assessment Criteria
- Overview of each topic
- Overall RAP Guidance
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs
- Role of Project Mentor
- Overall RAP Guidelines
- Overall link to get relevant information about RAP
- RAP Submission dates
- Guidance for all 20 RAP Topics
- Elements of RAP Assessment Criteria
- Determination of class of degree
- Key Success Factors for RAP
- Notes for Project Mentor
- Attributes of Project Mentor
- Overall Mentoring Process
- Approach to three meetings
- RAP Checklist
Business Analysis Section of RAP
Reference Generator Link
Click here to access Registration Form.
Consult our LinkedIn profile Click here to check recommendations of our old students.