A critical evaluation of the planning and implementation of an information system in an organisation
“The improved knowledge on the different aspects of the Information Systems in general and the specific knowledge related to the implementation in the selected company and the guidance of a highly qualified mentor are the keys for successful completion of the RAP”
The IS (Information System) is the collection of the technical and human resources that provide computing, storage, distribution and communication of information necessary to all or some parts of a company. The IS in business is usually divided into four main groups based on the particular operation. The IS systems within a company are:
- Transaction processing systems
- Management information systems
- Decision support systems
- Executive information systems etc.
The large or small successful organization uses the leverage available technologies for managing business activities and get assistance in decision-making. The Information System is used for data collection and data processing per the necessities of the analysts, managers or owners. The utilization of various Information Systems helps the business to operate more efficiently, especially for interaction with the customers or partners or to lessen costs and increase revenue.
Topic 9 is focused on two main aspects:
- Evaluation of the planning of the Information System within a company
- Evaluation of the implementation of the Information System within a company
The evaluation of the planning of the IS requires the student to first consider the current practice (the current state) for arranging and distribution of the specific information to the various entities within the selected company. The student will have to analyze the reasons for implementation of the IS in the planning stage in a manner that will provide reasonable expectations of the desired outcomes. The planning stage is very important in achieving the desired outcome, as proper planning will enable the management of the company to engage the main resources and avoid possible issues during the execution phase. The student will have to pay particular attention to this matter during the preparation of the RAP; a proper description of the planning aspect of the IS is essential to the successful passing of the RAP.
The next important aspect of this topic is the evaluation of the implementation of the IS and whether it satisfies the prescribed objectives set in the planning stage of the IS. The student will have to analytically evaluate the reasons should the management fail to achieve the desired objectives within the company. The student needs to give their own opinions on what were the major reasons that caused issues and if the management of the company made mistakes in the planning stage of the IS or in the implementation stage of the IS. Should the management of the company successfully achieve the desired objectives as planned, the student needs to identify on the contribution of the IS to the overall growth of the company in a qualitative and quantitative perspective.
- An adequate explanation of the general concept to Information System in a general (Literary review) and a specific review in terms of the selected company.
- Assessing the proper planning and implementation processes of the Information System in the selected company.
- Prepare a qualitative and a quantitative analysis to properly support these aspects.
- Maintaining a good balance during the explanation and analysis of the evaluation of the planning and implementation of the Information System in the selected company.
Key Success Factors
- Appropriate application of the selected goals and objectives set up in the beginning of the RAP in their appropriate sections.
- Adequate answers to the research questions set up in the beginning of the RAP in their appropriate sections.
- The use of good research methodology to get good results on all the selected goals and objectives set up at the beginning of the RAP.
- Give a logical flow of the discussion by keeping the requirements of the topic.
- Provide logical conclusions on the work in the Research Report by considering all the requirements of this topic.
Major benefits of choosing this topic
- The student will be able to implement the theoretical knowledge in a practical situation.
- The different techniques acquired during the preparation of this topic will help the student in their professional career.
Possible limitations faced by student under this topic
- The student may get ignored by the management of the selected company and not be given the required information due to the possible confidentiality clauses or unavailability of authorized personnel.
- The student may not find reliable information from secondary sources as a result of an inappropriate research method or lack good ideas for improving this project.
- The student may face confusion by the possible variations between the information from the primary sources and the information gathered from secondary sources through the research work.
Suitable organisation under this topic
A good company for preparation of the RAP under this topic is the one for which the students has adequate access to the management and that management is willing to provide the necessary information. The proper selection of the most suitable organization is very important and the student needs to have a proper understanding of the sector where the company operates. Upon their knowledge on the company and sector, the student can connect the different aspects of the overall operations of the selected company and can more easily fulfill the requirements of the topic and get good grades on their RAP.
The student will need to evaluate these aspects in the choosing for a company for their RAP:
- The personal interest of the student to the general business of the company;
- Access to primary sources of information (major importance for topic 9);
- Access to reliable secondary sources of information;
- Familiarity with the general operations of the selected company (major importance for topic 9);
- Familiarity with the overall sector of the selected organization;
- Access to important officials from the selected company (major importance for topic 9); and
- A general idea of the requirements of the selected topic in the beginning of the RAP and their proper application in the selected company.
Suggested approach for this topic
For the requirements of this topic, the student will have to make appropriate plans from the beginning in order to complete all the necessary tasks for the topic. The student will need to clearly understand the major requirements of the topic and analytically evaluate all the necessary aspects of establishing a detailed strategy. In the beginning of the RAP, the student should also make assessments on the processes that need to be followed in meeting the prescribed requirements.
The student needs to prepare a table of contents for the RAP for topic 9 in a logical manner. The table of contents will help the student to stay on the correct track from the beginning and also help the student in making a proper timetable and estimate the necessary time to complete each task for the RAP.
After completing the table of contents of the RAP under topic 9 the student will need to start work in a logical manner in gathering the necessary information. The student has to make logical and analytical evaluations of the gathered information by consulting the Project Mentor. The feedback and proper guidance from the Project Mentor in many aspects of the RAP are of great importance for the proper completion of the RAP.
As there is not a unique approach for the creation of the RAP under topic 9 the broad level approach described here is the start. The detailed approach should be based on the student’s plans that were made at the beginning of the preparation of the RAP in accordance with the available information on the selected company. No matter the approach the student will choose to follow, the guidance from the Project Mentor along every step of the process has a major influence in preparing a quality RAP and getting good grades.
Availability of Information
The student needs to prepare the RAP from the information provided by the management of the company ( the primary source of information) in relation to the information gathered from reliable secondary sources of information (internet, newspapers, books, etc.). The availability of primary sources of information is of key importance for topic 9 as this topic can’t be completed without this specific information. The student needs to be sure that he/she has access to information provided by the management of the selected company and there are no confidentiality clauses.
The student needs to analytically approach this topic with the prescribed requirements and availability of information before making a decision to base their RAP on topic 9. If there are doubts on any of these factors, the student should not choose this topic for their RAP, as these factors have a very big influence on the evaluation of the RAP and their final grades.
Click here to access Registration Form.
Consult our LinkedIn profile Click here to check recommendations of our old students.